The Consultant position is an excellent opportunity for registered nurses and other healthcare professionals working in the renal settings to collaborate by sharing their expertise in an open, efficient and structured manner. Currently we have EDTNA/ERCA Consultants to address the following areas: CKD, Education, Haemodialysis, Nutrition, Paediatric Nephrology, Peritoneal Dialysis and Psychological Care.
CKD CONSULTANTAngela Drähne
- To develop educational materials as a support tool to assist with the training of staff members who are newcomers to Renal Units.
- To promote the importance of strategies in the prevention and management of CKD.
- To set up a network of professionals interested in the management of CKD associated with diabetes, hypertension, and cardiovascular disease as well as complications such as anaemia and metabolic bone disease, among others.
EDUCATION CONSULTANTJohn Sedgewick
- To collaborate with experts within EDTNA/ERCA & consultant groups in developing educational projects.
- To contribute to the development of educational strategy in collaboration with other experts within EDTNA/ERCA.
- To develop educational processes & curriculum development and enhance standards of educational provision.
- To develop flexible and contemporary approaches to education & training for members working in renal care to enhance quality of patient care & service delivery.
- To collaborate with industry partners in developing & implementing individualised educational programmes.
- To advise on European policy & legislation pertaining to educational developments within Europe.
HAEMODIALYSIS CONSULTANTRuben Iglesia
- To promote exchange of clinical practices in haemodialysis treatment.
- To promote education on self-management to patients opting for home haemodialysis treatment.
- To provide knowledge and skills in ultrasonography for vascular access in dialysis by sharing education concepts of ultrasonography and how to apply it to vascular access.
- To provide guidelines for vascular access ultrasound performed by nurses.
- To collaborate in research and education projects related with haemodialysis.
NUTRITION CONSULTANTKalliopi-Anna Poulia
- To promote the importance of renal nutrition and dietetics in the management and therapeutic care of renal patients.
- To promote dietitians and nutrition advisors as key members of the multi-professional organization.
- To promote research in renal nutrition and dietetics.
- To collaborate with Education board on developing nutrition competencies standards across nursing and dietetic practices to provide the framework for improvement in clinical care.
- To develop patient – friendly educational tools and resources on nutrition for renal patients.
PAEDIATRIC NEPHROLOGY CONSULTANTAna Grilo
- To develop educational materials in paediatric dialysis techniques as training tools for nurses working in paediatric units.
- To set up a network of professionals interested in paediatric renal care and management.
- To address issues related to paediatric renal nursing care.
PERITONEAL DIALYSIS CONSULTANTMaria Arminda Tavares
- To exchange data about peritoneal dialysis.
- To promote a greater understanding of peritoneal dialysis among renal care professionals.
- To promote self-management in patients on peritoneal dialysis, a home-based treatment.
- To formulate standards for peritoneal dialysis training.
- To collaborate in research and education projects with other professionals in activities regarding self-management and pre-dialysis education.
PSYCHOLOGICAL CARE CONSULTANTMike Kelly
- Psychosocial assessment and ongoing evaluation.
- Coping with CKD and the Renal Replacement Therapy implications.
- Resource referrals: Welfare benefits and Governmental entitlements.
- Patient education and adherence improvement.
- Conflict resolution and mediation.
- End of life issues and Bereavement.
- Advocate renal patients special needs on policy level.
- Quality Standards of renal social work.