EXPLORING NUTRITION SUPPORT PRACTICES IN HAEMODIALYSIS UNITS - A GUIDE TO IMPLEMENTING BEST PRACTICE
How can we improve skills, in order to combine the right assessment with the right nutritional care, based on patients individual needs?
The EDTNA/ERCA identified the gap and lack of knowledge and education about Malnutrition and decided to move forward and develop an Educational Tool to address the concerns to support the successful implementation of Nutritional Support. The Application has two entry points and pathways - One for the HealthCare Professionals and one for the Patients.
THE OBJECTIVES OF THIS TOOL ARE:
- To increase health care professionals’ awareness about malnutrition
- Provide information on the benefits of Nutritional support
- To provide an educational tool which can support the provision of nutritional support
- To implement this knowledge into practice and to improve the patient quality of life
- To encourage the Patient to take an informative and active part on his treatment
MALNUTRITION IS A BURDEN IN DIALYSIS PATIENTS, AFFECTING MORE THAN 30 % OF DIALYSIS PATIENTS*
STUDIES SHOW THAT PROVIDING NUTRITION THERAPY TO CKD PATIENTS CAN IMPROVE THE NUTRITION STATUS OF TREATED PATIENTS AND THE QUALITY OF LIFE*
*Malnutrition is a burden in dialysis patients, affecting more than 30 % of dialysis patients.
1. Nefrologia. 2013;33(4):495-505. doi: 10.3265/Nefrologia.pre2013.Apr.11979 .
Prevalence of protein-energy wasting syndrome and its association with mortality in haemodialysis patients in a centre in Spain.
Gracia-Iguacel C1, González-Parra E, Pérez-Gómez MV, Mahíllo I, Egido J, Ortiz A, Carrero JJ.
2. Aparicio, M et al. Nephrol Dial Transplant, 1999;14:1679-86
**Studies show that providing nutrition therapy to CKD patients can improve the nutrition status of treated patients and the quality of life.
1. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2016 Oct;31(10):1712-20. doi: 10.1093/ndt/gfw297 . Epub 2016 Aug 10.
The effects of resistance exercise and oral nutritional supplementation during hemodialysis on indicators of nutritional status and quality of life. Martin-Alemañy G1, Valdez-Ortiz R1, Olvera-Soto G1, Gomez-Guerrero I1, Aguire-Esquivel G1, Cantu-Quintanilla G2, Lopez-Alvarenga JC1, Miranda-Alatriste P3, Espinosa-Cuevas A4.
2. Aparicio, M et al. Nephrol Dial Transplant ,1999;14:1679-86
Quality of Life
1. J Ren Nutr. 2009 Mar;19(2):145-52. doi: 10.1053/j.jrn.2008.08.004 .
Effects of peridialytic oral supplements on nutritional status and quality of life in chronic hemodialysis patients.
Scott MK1, Shah NA, Vilay AM, Thomas J 3rd, Kraus MA, Mueller BA.
2. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl 2016;27(2):250-255
Influence of Nutritional Education on Hemodialysis Patients’ Knowledge and Quality of Life
Hossein Ebrahimi1, Mahdi Sadeghi2, Farzaneh Amanpour3, Ali Dadgari2
3. Embase search result